A Travellerspoint blog

New York City


Sat. 9.25.10

Our flight left around 6:45ish headed from here in OKC to our first stop - Denver, Co. Frontier airlines was the airlines we took this time although I wished we would have done SWA simply bc it would've saved us money on luggage fees. The flight was fast to DEN thankfully and then we had a 3hr layover. We plenty of time to have a bite, starighten our hair and finish getting ready :). The flight to LGA in NYC went fairly fast for the long journey it was. The one perk of being on Frontier was that we had tvs in the back of the seats we were able to watch (after purchasing of course) but it made the time go quickly.

We landed in LGA around 4:30 NY time and after getting our luggage we waited for the shuttle bus to come and pick us up. Soon it arrived and off we went for it to drop us off at our hotels. Kelly and Kelly were staying @ Club Quarters in Rockefeller Center and Sherri and I were staying The Edison in Times Sq. Ours was fine for a night but Im glad we didnt book it for the return night after the cruise. It was nice enough in the lobby and the location couldnt be beat so we couldnt complain much. My sisters hotel had a tiny lobby but the rooms were nice. I wouldnt mind staying there next time and it was only a couple blocks to Times Sq.

After us all getting settled into our hotels we met in Times Sq and then decided to catch the subway to Chinatown. THAT was an experience now. We all got the biggest kick out of the women there. They would stand out on the sidewalks like customers and when you would walk by youd here them whisper.. Coach..Parada...Louis Vatton purse..wallet...and if you even gave a glance they were quickly showing you into their stores to a big trash bag full of goodies. Or they would pull out a pamplet of the styles for you to choose from and when you picked they would run to grab it from a store somewhere. There were also men who would whisper...rolex watches.. lol it was th greatest thing. I had read an article shortly before going on the trip about this happening but it was so funny I didnt think it could possibly be true. But let me tell you...IT WAS!!!! It was a great time though. Sherri and I stopped in the middle of shopping there to grab a tea and a smoothie from the Chinta Town McDonalds. lol We can now check that off our places to visit. :)

After here we headed back uptown to the Empire State Building. After getting off the subway we walked a lil bit to get there. We were starving by this time and decided to stop in at a place called KyoChon. It was a unusual chicken place but we were hungry and excited about trying something new.

We then headed to the ESB. It was late at this point - I think maybe 9pm. and not to mention cold and windy up at the top but it was really awesome to be standing up there in that famous spot. We took some photos for awhile and then headed back to the hotel...walking... I dont even know how far we walked but it seemed like a long ways. lol We finally made it back and literally pased out.


Day 2 - Sun. 9-26-10

We woke up early and Sherri and I headed out to go meet the girls at their hotel. After arriving there we stopped in next door at the Gourmet Coffee Bar for a quick breakfast. They made omlets and breakfast burritos to order right there. Then we met up with our Big Apple Greeter Caroline who was taking us to Ground Zero. We were going to take the subway but bc it was closed near the place we were going we ended up taking 2 taxis. OMG It was our first time in a NYC taxi and it nearly gave us all heart failure. lol They do NOT exagerate in the movies about those drivers. WOW... if you are not prayed up when you get in you WILL be when you step out. :)

We first stopped in St. Pauls Chapel across from Ground Zero where the firemen took refuge during 9/11. The building wasnt damaged at all. It was a miracle really. Inside there was a choir practicing which made the feeling inside there all teh more special. We walked around and captured a few photos before heading across the street to the Memorial museum. It showed some things from the bombing as well as the plans for the new towers that were being built.

Then across the street we headed to the actual place where it all took place and where the new first tower was being built. Caroline said people work around the clock on it 24-7. It was hard to believe considering it wasnt very far at all for having been worked on for 10 years but she said there were alot of problems in the deciding of the blue prints and such and that everyone had to agree and such. It was creepy feeling in one certain part of it. I actually had a bit of..whats the word.. sort of a strong magnetic/gravitational pull that made me a bit dizzy. The only time I have ever felt anything near that was in Santa Cruz CA in what they called as a "Mystery Spot". It was very very strange.

After here we parted ways and thanked Caroline for being so gracious as to take us around. Sherri and myself headed off to get our luggage and head to the cruise port while Kelly and Kelly hit some more cool places around the city before they headed home teh following day.

I hope that we can go back to NYC one day to see more. We were so rushed and there was just soo much more to see.

Posted by ThruMyLens 18:36 Archived in USA Tagged chinatown city new york building state empire ground zero

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint